Powered by Blogger.

How to wear shorts for Autumn

I have a little ritual whereby I put away all my jeans in the middle of June and get them out again come September. However I love wearing shorts , so much more than skirts as I find them much more comfortable and less self conscious. I am , therefore always looking for ways to wear them in the Fall , while the weather is still hot and I still have a tan. Obviously really summery flimsy styles are not usually season appropriate but there are some styles that can work longer and harder for you combined with the right items. One of my favourite looks and which I am wearing in my post is a tailored smart pair of short or a skort ( genius invention!) combined with a shirt . It looks quite smart and breezy still thanks to the shirt but you still get to have those pins out. I also love boots with bare legs and the beginning of Autumn is pretty much the only time you can realistically get away with it!
I follow some simple rules:


  1. Keep the shorts dark : They nod to trousers and work or school wear so they are in keeping with the general vibe of the season. Alternatively go for cream or muted autumnal shades and stick to the colour scheme for the whole outfit.
  2. Go for stiff , thicker fabric : Flimsy layering is great for Summer outings, but transitioning into the new season means that fabrics imitate winter clothing albeit in the form of short. Suit fabrics, wool blends, boucle , denim and stiff silky fabrics are perfect and also texture to the outfit.
  3. Keep the top covered : Balance is everything, jumpers, sweaters, sweatshirts, shirts, blouses cardigans and blazers or even a lightweight parka over shorts look amazing. Keep the cleavage under cover !
  4. Accessorise for Fall : Ankle boots, sneakers slippers and Oxfords complement shorts perfectly. I personally would steer clear of thin heels and styles like pumps and high heel sandals.







Shirt  Pull and Bear here
Skort Zara
Bag Zara 
Boots Marks and Spencer (old) similar herehere
Here are some style of shorts that would look great now and you can even combine the wool , thicker ones with tights for when the weather really cools down and channel the 70's trend as seen on so many catwalks.


Zara Tweed Skort here


Reiss Linetti long Tailored Shorts here

Miss Selfridge Petal Shorts here

Top Shop Washed Red Check Shirt here

Reiss Gaia Sweatshirt here


Miss Selfridge Dacota Embroidered boots here


Top Shop MIA Ring Boots here

New look sequin Mules here


No comments